Perfect to Impress When You Need It
Chocolate Ganache & Fresh Strawberries Make a Perfect Combination
Do you have a dinner that you need to make an impression on? This is my go to treat, chocolate ganache. Chocolate is delicious, but add a chocolate ganache and let the salivating begin. There’s that saying, don’t go to the grocery store hungry otherwise you end up buying more than you need. Well, don’t write a recipe with a sugar craving, just thinking about this has me salivating.
Regardless, looking at the recipe can be a little daunting, but don’t worry, you can do this! If you have the time and you want to make the pie shell go for it, if you don’t, no worries, you can pick one up at the store, just make sure it’s cold. This recipe comes from across the pond, and their ingredients are slightly different than ours, however, you can still find the ingredients if you search hard enough. Pure icing sugar is a more refined version of powdered/confectioners sugar. 175 g of chocolate translates to roughly 1 cup. 150 g of butter translates to about 2/3 c. You’ll also see irregular oven temps, but don’t worry, science works, just pay particular attention to time.
Chocolate Ganache Tart with Roasted Strawberries
- 500 g strawberries hulled
- 1 t fennel seeds toasted & crushed
- 2 t pure icing sugar
Sour Cream Ganache
- 175 g dark 70% chocolate, chopped
- 1 c thickened cream
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 2 eggs beaten
Chocolate & Rye Pastry
- 1/2 loaf dark rye bread crusts removed and chopped
- 2 T Dutch cocoa powder sifted
- 1/3 c pure icing sugar
- 1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 150 g cold unsalted butter chopped
- Preheat oven to 320° F.
- Place rye bread on baking sheet and toast for 15 – 20 minutes.1/2 loaf dark rye bread
- Place bread in food processor until you have 3/4 c fine crumbs.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cocoa, sugar, flour, breadcrumbs, with a pinch of salt.2 T Dutch cocoa powder, 1/3 c pure icing sugar, 1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- Using your hands, rub butter into mixture. This should create a course mixture.150 g cold unsalted butter
- Add 3-4 T ice water, using a knife to mix.
- Place dough on lightly floured counter top and gently knead.
- Wrap in plastic and chill for 1 hour.
- Increase oven to 350° F
- Using a mixing bowl, combine strawberries, fennel seeds, sugar and 1 T water.500 g strawberries, 1 t fennel seeds, 2 t pure icing sugar
- Set aside for 20 minutes to soften.
- Place on baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
Bake Tart Shell
- Roll out dough on floured counter top.
- Place into tart pan, trimming anything that hangs over the sides.
- Use a fork to vent the dough then chill for 30 minutes.
- Place tart pan on baking tray and bake for 25-30 minutes, pastry should be dry to the touch.
- Reduce oven to 320°
- In a medium bowl, add chocolate.175 g dark
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add cream and sour cream. Bring to just before a boil.1 c thickened cream, 1/2 c sour cream
- Pour over chocolate and whisk until smooth. Add in eggs.2 eggs
- When smooth pour into tart shell.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with roasted strawberries and syrup and enjoy!